Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Legend of the Sunflower

Today, Mom craved for sinigang na tanigue sa miso. I knew she was referring to one of her favorite dishes at Buddy's. I left the house and I was at Buddy's in an instant. Kidding. Buddy's (Kakarong branch) was a short five-minute walk from my place in Makati City.

While waiting for my order, I looked at my favorite image in this restaurant -- the sunflower. The sunflower was their signature design. It was everywhere -- chairs, ceiling, railing, order number, tip box, food images, take-out stools... It's cute, really. I had asked the staff several times from the very first instance that I ate there in 2001, "Bakit sunflower?" Ten years later, I was still asking the same question. Not one of the staff satisfied my curiosity. Perhaps it's the owner's favorite flower. Who knew? Intriguing, indeed, for a restaurant which had its roots from Lucban, Quezon.

The Sunflower, carved on the chair and my order number.

The ceiling light in the form of a Sunflower. The kiping, an integral part of Lucban's Pahiyas festival, only played a supporting role.

The main counter with Sunflower railing. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment