Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Satisfive

Just an ordinary afternoon. I was in Sta. Cruz in Manila to collect some Pap smears and specimens from my suking gynecologists and surgeons. For this day, however, I didn't go to Wai Ying in Benavides St. to have my routine once-a-week Chinese-food meal. Well, I was rushing to go home to have lunch with Her Majesty.

While walking along Mayhaligue St. (near Metropolitan Medical Center), I came across this bakery which sold these sliced bars wrapped in cellophane plastic. It reminded me of the butterscotch bars which came from Iloilo. I asked the saleslady what they were. "Caramel bars po," she replied. I asked again, "Magkano." And she said, "Limampiso po." I got one, and I thought I was eating the caramel bar from Max's Bakeshop -- you know, the house that fried chicken built. For five pesos, it was sulit. What's sulit? Well, according to a TV commercial, "It's getting more than what you paid for." I had a bottle of Cheers orange soda for panulak.

A block away towards the Bambang LRT station, there was this stall which sold kwek-kwek and.. yes! Just what I had been craving for. Hotdogs. Not Sabrett nor the tender juicy type, but the hotdog that could be bought from the palengke -- iyung puro harina at red food color. "Magkano?" Then the tindera answered, "Piso po ang isa." And so I got five pieces, and I ate them in the kalye in my corporate attire. I was so satisfied.The best five pesos I'd ever spent.

 Caramel bars. Beautifully wrapped in attractive red and yellow cellophane plastic, comparable to the more expensive bars that could be bought from other commercial bakeshops. Five pesos lang. (Mayhaligue St., Sta. Cruz)

 Palengke-type hotdog. It's not tender, it's not juicy, but it's masarap. I already ate one piece so there were only four pieces in the bamboo stick. Five pesos din lang. (Mayhaligue St., Sta. Cruz)

No comments:

Post a Comment